PO Box 971 / 14 Mortlock Tce,
Port Lincoln, SA, 5606
t: (08) 8683 2400
f: (08) 8682 2566
e: info@sjspl.catholic.edu.au



Our School

More information about our school can be found in the documents below.

School Improvement Plan - 2018
Strategic Plan 2016 - 2018
Annual Report to Community

Vision

St Joseph's is a nurturing Catholic school living the Josephite tradition of justice, compassion and hospitality, igniting a love of learning. We have a proud history of providing education in Port Lincoln for more than 130 years.

Our students are challenged to excel and become confident, respectful contributors to our global society.

Values

This vision is lived out through the core values of faith, hope, love in all things and respect for self, others, property and the environment.

School Patron

St Joseph's School is under the patronage of St Joseph and Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop, the co-founder of the Sisters of St Joseph.

In 1866 Mary MacKillop founded her Congregation to meet the needs of educating the children of Australia, particularly those who, for reasons of distance, economic or social circumstances would have otherwise been denied an education.

Education for Mary MacKillop included education in faith and the integration of faith in daily living. She chose St Joseph as the patron for her Congregation and for each of her schools in his life as husband of Mary and foster father of Jesus and as tradesman in his local community, exemplified those virtues of trust, faith and love. Such virtues are part of the charism of Mary MacKillop.

St Mary of the Cross MacKillop was canonised in October 2010 and is Australia's first saint. She is an example to all of an ordinary woman, who did extraordinary things. The motto she lived by was "Never see a need without trying to remedy it" which is embodied in the Josephite charism of St Joseph's School, Port Lincoln.

Role of the Catholic School

Our school acknowledges the dignity and uniqueness of each student and aims to provide opportunities for all-round development - intellectual, social, cultural, spiritual, moral and physical.

As a Catholic School, we educate young people for participation in the Church and world communities today, in partnership with parents, in union with Christ's saving mission and school communities. We do this through the Spirit and Tradition of St Joseph and Mary MacKillop

Our school is committed to the pursuit of excellence in all areas of school life. Our school was established as a Christian Community where the Gospel values are both encouraged and practised. This spirit is taken beyond the classroom into the wider community through our Christian Service Programs.

All students are challenged to the full Christian commitment and are actively engaged in Religious Education programs throughout their entire school life. St Joseph's School also recognizes the critical role of parents in the religious development of all children. There is an absolute need for home and school to work together in setting the example of Christian Living, worship and regular prayer.

Our Emblem

Our School Emblem was designed by Sr Fergus Brosnahan in 1926. It was initially worn on the uniform of school boarders to distinguish them from day scholars.

The components of our emblem are:

  • The lily - which symbolises integrity and the call for our growth to wholeness; our aim for each student.
  • Brown - symbolising the colour of the earth, the farming community, the sisters' work with the indigenous people, and St Joseph.
  • The blue - which highlights the beautiful waters of Port Lincoln, our fishing community, the sky, our commitment to caring for the environment, and Mary.
  • Gold colour - which recognises the crops and farming community of the Peninsula . It also symbolises the richness of God's love for us.
  • The cross - which accentuates the great love of Jesus for us as evidenced by His death and resurrection.
  • The letters SJS - representing St Joseph 's School, honouring all those who worked to build our school community; sisters, parents, students and friends.
  • The motto: “In Omnibus Caritas,” In all things love is at the same time an invitation and a challenge to the way we live our daily life.

Brief History of St Joseph's School Port Lincoln

The Sisters of St Joseph arrived in Port Lincoln in September , 1874. They started a school which was forced to close in 1886 due to lack of support. The Sisters returned to Port Lincoln in 1926 and reopened their school in the recently vacated church which had been built, along with the presbytery , in 1870.

The old Presbytery was extended to become a convent. A new wing was added to provide a boarding school and classes were held in the back of the Church.

In 1952, the central building, 'The Archdeacon Kelly Memorial School', was built and the surrounding complex was added 1969-1972.

1974-1976 the Open Space/Administration Block was built. Three years later the Matriculation Centre was completed

In 1987-1988 a new Home Economics, Arts and Technical Studies Centre was built.

In 1992 a Senior Computing Centre was established and was named after Sr Maria-Anne Graves.Two years later the Administration Block and three new classrooms were built and the previous Open Space/Administration Block was refurbished to accommodate a Resource Centre, Distance Education Room and Religious Education Centre.

In 1999 part of the Archdeacon Kelly Memorial School was refurbished to create the Archdeacon Kelly Information Technology Centre.The following year the new Canteen was completed.

In 2001 the Resource Centre and Information and Communication Technology expansion was completed.

In 2004 the new Gymnasium/Performing Arts Centre was opened by Bishop Eugene Hurley, Bishop of the Port Pirie Diocese and Sr Christine Rowan, Provincial of the Sisters of St Joseph.

In 2005 the newly rebuilt Archdeacon Kelly Centre was opened by Bishop Eugene Hurley, Bishop of the Port Pirie Diocese and Sr Christine Rowan, Provincial of the Sisters of St Joseph.

In 2011 the new Resource Centre was opened by Senator Annette Hurley