“Never see a need without trying to remedy it”
St Joseph's School is under the patronage of St Joseph and Saint Mary of the Cross MacKillop, who co-founded the Sisters of St Joseph with Fr Julian Tenison Woods.
In his life as husband of Mary and foster father of Jesus and as a tradesman in his local community, Joseph exemplified the virtues of trust, faith and love. Although the Scriptures give us little detail about St Joseph, references to his listening, protective, patient nature and his strength and courage portray a devoted and compassionate man. He is Patron of the Catholic church, fathers and workers. Joseph was Mary MacKillop’s special patron, to whom she prayed often and fervently.
In 1866 Mary MacKillop founded her Congregation to meet the needs of educating the children of Australia, particularly those who, for reasons of distance, economic or social circumstances would have otherwise been denied an education. Our Houses are named MacKillop, Tenison and Penola.
Education for Mary MacKillop included education in faith and the integration of faith in daily living. She chose St Joseph as the patron for her Congregation and for each of her schools in his life as husband of Mary and foster father of Jesus and as tradesman in his local community, exemplified those virtues of trust, faith and love. Such virtues are part of the charism of Mary MacKillop.
St Mary of the Cross MacKillop was canonised in October 2010 and is Australia's first saint. She is an example to all of an ordinary woman, who did extraordinary things. The motto she lived by was "Never see a need without trying to remedy it" which is embodied in the Josephite charism of St Joseph's School, Port Lincoln.